Monday, March 30, 2020

Alchemical Reaction

If there's anything I learned from making pizza, it is this: anyone can, but not everyone should.
Anyone can because the technology to make a pizza is designed around the person, not the pizza itself. Our capabilities as human beings, the basic actions refined over many, many generations have defined just what pizza is and what we define as a perfect slice of pie. If you have the aspiration to learn how to make pizza and then to do it well, well, that's really all it takes. The universe will provide you with the keys, the rudimentary tools and you will learn both the best way and your own way. The solution of the remaining and persisting art form is where these two ideas meet. All art is formed simply by combining two, often otherwise incompatible, ideas. If it works, it sticks.
So then, we know what constitutes a perfect slice, and what it takes to make one. This in mind, not everyone in the present universe should pursue such an unified endeavor, for we would probably run out of such finite resources necessary to actually building pizza quite soon. Not to mention, all that pizza, no matter how perfect, would sure get boring soon too if not eventually, it would happen. Believe me, at certain times in my life I've lived on leftover slice pies, but if I didn't have friends to share them with, others more than happy to take them off my hands, I'd probably be a house painter or something by now. 
Anyone can make a pizza, a perfect one, over and over and over. There will be a lot of bad ones, ones you wouldn't make your worst enemy try to eat, these go directly in the garbage. Burned, mangled, beyond any identification. But even if arms were somehow purged from our evolutionary toolbox, if we dissolved into some sort of floating energy field mass and had to manipulate external matter telepathically, the pizza kitchen would still be a familiar, comfortable place designed with us in mind, waiting for us to stoke the fire and ring the bell.
Our own way of seeing things and experiencing them, however detailed and exact, will never account for the whole multitude of never ending possibilities, the ultimate source of diversity, the variety that is the very spice of life. You can make a pizza taste, emulate, look like anything, but it's still pizza. Sometimes you'll want a steak, a cake, a shake or even a salad. If every single person on the face of this planet from now on just decided to only make pizza, well, that's no world, no dream I would want to take part in.

And speaking of dreams, my whole outlook, as a pizza cook first because that's when it happened, changed for good when I realized that I am just a character in someone else's dream, facilitating their deepest desires. It wasn't my choice to make a pizza shop, not consciously anyway, if I somehow am, too, the dreamer indeed. I remember the lights, the music, my hands moving before me and thinking, there is something bigger going on here, bigger than me and bigger than this. I didn't, in that moment, put down what I was doing and just walk away on my own, beginning a new and different quest. This was it, how I got here today. It is all part of the same thing, these events being absolutely transferable as part of this big big life that we all share, making everything better, even perfect, from moment to delicious moment. I only hope that one day soon you will get to experience what it is to be the one who makes dreams, even those of someone you don't know and most likely will never even meet, an entirely new reality for all of us, because that is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment